Meet Kareen King, Creatively Engaging the World of Aging!
Click to listen to “Too Old to Cry”
Welcome to The Golden Experience! My name is Kareen King, author of Engage! 28 Creative Enrichment Experiences for Older Adults (ArtAge Pub.). I work with organizations that want to create a culture where elders and their caregivers feel loved, validated, and creatively engaged. I would LOVE to work with you! The following are outcomes experienced by those who’ve attended my keynote concerts and creative engagement workshops:
- “This was a marvelous resource in the understanding of human nature, relaying the real-life stories of long term care, speaking to the hearts of care givers, giving voice to the voiceless and compassion to the calloused.”
- “This session was worth much more than the cost of the whole conference. Amazing!”
- “I was moved and motivated to be the best I can be, the kindest I can be at work and all over. I was reminded that there is another point of view to each situation I’m in. I’m reminded that being kind might help someone today.”
- “She captured the humanity of our most frail and vulnerable older adults in a musical format. What a powerful teaching tool this is.”
- “I was made to really ‘feel’ the individuals she sang about.”
- “What a wonderful role model of creativity in action with clients of ALL ages.”
- “I decided after her presentation that I would get back to focusing on my residents because that is why I chose this career.”
- “This is the best concert we’ve ever had here.”
- “My bucket was filled.”
- “Fun! Fun! The music and stories were a great way to get the point across.”
- “She made me want to be a better CNA.”
- “I was inspired, encouraged, affirmed, and refreshed.”
- “I laughed and I cried.”
- “I was engaged all the way through.”
- “Made me want to re-think what I do.”
- “My spirit was lifted.”
- “The combination of music and passion burned deep within.”
- “I’ll remember this forever.”
- “She’s a gift we cannot waste.”
- “I was reminded to take time to see, listen, and care.”
- “I was given meaning to what I do as an Activity Director. I now remember why I do what I do.”
- “I appreciated the use of humor and sensitivity in sharing stories of the elders we serve.”
- “I was reminded to care for myself before I can care for others. Great use of psychology, family therapy terms/concepts to make self behavior changes. Good examples of ways to create a positive work environment.”
- “This was a great way to start a conference.”
- “This was the best opener.”
- “Hers was the perfect conclusion to a fantastic conference.”
As a Registered Drama Therapist and Creative Engagement Specialist, I can help you discover exciting ways to provide meaningful and engaging experiences for older adults as well as offer creative care-giving tools for caregivers and individuals in the field of aging services. Field-tested examples of what’s possible in the world of aging are included in my new book, Engage! 28 Creative Enrichment Experiences for Older Adults, ArtAge Publications. For details, see below or click here.
I invite you to explore the site and peruse my blog which contains a host of valuable resources and narratives to enrich the world of aging. Be sure also to take advantage of my free download of creative ways to use the song, “Too Old to Cry” (the song that got this whole thing started!) for staff training purposes. And please drop me a note and introduce yourself! I appreciate your questions or comments.
I hope to meet you soon!
Kareen King is arguably one of the best and most creative singer-songwriters addressing the needs of our older adults in the USA. I have been in the field of aging for nearly 40 years and have never seen the likes of her before. Her capacity to teach is not through lectures but through songs and stories. Her musical skill has been an effective way to teach direct care workers. You will not be disappointed by her compassion, her creative musicality and her wonderful stories to boot! While her time on stage is always entertaining, she can skillfully ground her message in the latest gerontological theories of the day.
Cullen T. Hayashida, Ph.D., Founding Director, Kupuna (Elder) Education Center, Kapiolani Community College, Honolulu, Hawaii
May we all be blessed in our golden years to have a sincere advocate for our personal care, dignity, and independence who is as profoundly dedicated and talented as Kareen King. I think every person working in healthcare should hear her message.
PJ Prusia, Executive Director, Silvercrest at Deer Creek
LATEST BOOK RELEASE!
If you want to stimulate older persons’ minds and imaginations, this gem of a book is for you. Let the easy-to-use thematic lesson plans help you create sessions that are filled with creativity, exploration, and fun. The 28 Experiences combine music, theatre, poetry, storytelling, and reminiscence that fosters curiosity and builds connections.
Kareen King is the real deal — a committed, creative, and compassionate drama therapist who knows how to connect to older adults and lead an enjoyable, life-affirming group. Her lessons are guaranteed to appeal to the curiosity in everyone and can be adapted to clients with any level of cognition or physical ability. They have been honed through use with mixed ability groups of older adults, so they really work! All you need is enthusiasm and the belief that there is creativity in everyone. – Sally Bailey, Associate Professor, Kansas State University, Director, Drama Therapy Program