Meet Kareen King!
Click to listen to “Too Old to Cry”
Welcome to The Golden Experience™! My name is Kareen King and I provide event planners in the field of long-term care with keynote presentations and workshops that will make their conferences memorable and their constituents glad they showed up! My keynotes are educational concert presentations, featuring original songs and stories that stem from actual experiences in the long-term care environment. Bestselling author, Daniel Pink once said that “artists give the world something they didn’t know they were missing.” Enter The Golden Experience.™
- My presentations put the constituent in the role of the resident, empowering Long-Term Care (LTC) workers in what matters most to residents and their families – the care and concern of staff (2010-2011 National Survey of Customer and Employee Satisfaction in Nursing Homes – National Report).
- My presentations help clarify deeper purpose in LTC workers, thus increasing their level of personal happiness and job satisfaction.
- My presentations provide training to direct care workers in “soft” skills (personal attributes and social graces/interactions) that will improve job performance and quality of life for each resident.
- My conference evaluations reflect high levels of satisfaction by the attendees.
- My presentations, which employ original narrative and music to support theoretical content, increase residual impact in the workplace. Research shows that the human brain remembers facts more accurately if encountered in a story rather than in a list (Benedict Carey, “This is Your Life – And How You Tell It”, NYT. May 22, 2007).
- My presentations impact both brain and soul, proving that love and belonging for some, is just as or more essential than physiological and safety needs.
- My CD’s, which feature original songs and stories based on my work as a Registered Drama Therapist in LTC settings, have been used as training tools by health-care providers, trainers, and educators throughout the nation.
I invite you to explore the site: take a peek at the testimonials of those who have experienced “The Golden Experience™, give a listen to the music on both audio and video, and peruse my blog which contains a host of valuable resources and narratives to enrich the world of long-term care. Be sure also to take advantage of my free download of creative ways to use the song, “Too Old to Cry” (the song that got this whole thing started!) for staff training purposes. And please drop me a note and introduce yourself! I appreciate your questions or comments.
I hope to meet you soon!
“Kareen King is arguably one of the best and most creative singer-songwriters addressing the needs of our older adults in the USA. I have been in the field of aging for nearly 40 years and have never seen the likes of her before. Her capacity to teach is not through lectures but through songs and stories. Her musical skill has been an effective way to teach direct care workers. You will not be disappointed by her compassion, her creative musicality and her wonderful stories to boot! While her time on stage is always entertaining, she can skillfully ground her message in the latest gerontological theories of the day.”
Cullen T. Hayashida, Ph.D.
Director, Kupuna (Elder) Education Center,
Kapiolani Community College,
“May we all be blessed in our golden years to have a sincere advocate for our personal care, dignity, and independence who is as profoundly dedicated and talented as Kareen King. I think every person working in healthcare should hear her message.”
Silvercrest at Deer Creek